Early Career Scientist Assembly (ECSA)
Writing Proposals to Secure Grants.
1:30 p.m. Monday April 28, 2014
FL 2 Large Auditorium
William A. Cooper
Senior Scientist Emeritus, NCAR
I will present opinions, developed during a varied research-scientist career, on what helps a proposal succeed and what advice might be useful to early-career investigators. My advice is based primarily on my experience as a program office at the NSF but also from other roles in my career, including as a university faculty member, an NCAR scientist, and for almost 10 years a postdoc advisor as director of the Advanced Study Program. The talk will have three main parts: how to develop the project idea, how to develop a detailed project design, and how to avoid common problems when writing the proposal. My comments focus also on suggested ways to use grants to further your career, how to learn about grant opportunities, and how to communicate with program officers. I hope that this talk might be useful to those who expect to seek grants to fund parts of their research.
Looking for Funding? Take a Strategic Perspective.
1:30 p.m. Tuesday May 13, 2014
Mesa Lab Main Seminar Room
Senior Scinetist & Section Head
NCAR Earth System Laboratory
Regional Climate Research
The tactical approach to funding; eagerly scanning the announcements for something that might work, then repackaging an old proposal to see if it will fit is clearly not working. Success rates have plummeted in the past couple of decades, falling as low as 10% in some disciplines. In this chat and discussion - which will include no overheads - we will consider how to take a more strategic view, developing relationships and establishing new directions. While this takes time to get going, in the long run we shall see it is by far the best approach.
Recordings of recent panel discussions
The NCAR Early Career Scientist Assembly and UCAR Communications sponsored two recent panel discussions. Links to the videos below.
Talking with Reporters
Talking with Potential Funders
No new announcements at this time
- ECSA Steering Committee Contact us if you have comments or suggestions
- ECSA's wiki space
- Steering Committee Appointments Policy
- Visitor Funds Funding for collaborative visits to NCAR.
- Travel Funds Funding for early career scientists!
- Mailing list signup If you are not on the mailing list and would like to be, please sign up!
- Mailing list archive
- Past events
- Career Development and open positions
- ECSA Survey results
- NCAR Human Resources
- Human Capital https://www.fin.ucar.edu/hr/humancapital/index.htm (Staff Development Classes, Mentoring)
- Ladder-Track Appointment Review (ARG tool)
- Visitors Manual http://www.fin.ucar.edu/hr/visitors/manual/
- Benefits http://www.fin.ucar.edu/hr/benefits/gtbenes.html
- Work life options http://www.workoptionsgroup.com/ (backup child care, elder care)
- UCAR Child Care http://www.cclc.com/corp_fam/ucar/reg.html
- NCAR's Library